Social work in its various forms addresses the multiple, complex transactions between people and their environments. Professional social work is focused on problem solving and change. Social work is an interrelated system of values, theory and practice.
Social work addresses the barriers, inequities and injustices that exist in society. It responds to crises and emergencies as well as to everyday personal and social problems. Social work utilises a variety of skills, techniques, and activities consistent with its holistic focus on persons and their environments. Social work interventions range from primarily person-focused psychosocial processes to involvement in social policy, planning and development. These include counselling, clinical social work, group work, social pedagogical work, and family treatment and therapy as well as efforts to help people obtain services and resources in the community. Interventions also include agency administration, community organisation and engaging in social and political action to impact social policy and economic development. The holistic focus of social work is universal, but the priorities of social work practice will vary from country to country and from time to time depending on cultural, historical, and socio-economic conditions.
* Citation: Web page of International Federation of Social Workers (http://www.ifsw.org)
The social work profession promotes social change, problem solving in human relationships and the empowerment and liberation of individuals, families, groups and communities to enhance well-being. Utilising theories of human behaviour and social systems, social work intervenes at the points where people interact with their environments. Principles of human rights and social justice are fundamental to social work (IASSW, 2001; IFSW, 2001).
The goals of Social Work Programme:
- According to the changing social conditions,to produce knowledge and service models for social wellfare and to ensure their realization,
- To make education and research on helping methods of using the facilities which people in distress in the society have and provided for them.
- To contribute the development and implementation of curative and preventive services for disadvantaged groups of society
- To train experts which will work for social wellfare in private and govermental institutions with the qualifications of regulatory, planing, implementing,effective communication and leadership
Social workers work generally in General Directorate of Social Services and Child Protection Agency, Ministry of Health and its various agencies and facilities, Ministry of Justice and its various agencies and facilities, local administrations, State Planing Organization, Ministry of Education and its various agencies and facilities, Labour and Social Security Ministry, hospitals, medico-social centers of the universities, industrial settings, street children centers, various social welfare projects and NGO’s etc.